World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Operations Officer
Job ID: 2204072
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two years
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Objectives of the Programme
- The WHO country office in Nigeria supports the Strengthening of the national information system to improve the availability, quality and use of data and information from Health as a basis for better outcomes and accountability, for policy development and Decision-making at different levels.
- This support includes the creation of synergies with the Bureau WHO Regional Office for Africa, the Ministry of Health of Nigeria and partners, including: Aligning Investment with the national health information and monitoring and evaluation system) Provision of technical support for the Production, collection, analysis, synthesis, and dissemination of health data and information.
- For the development and promotion of harmonized standards, tools and Methodologies for data collection, analysis and synthesis and dissemination of health data and information and knowledge translation
Description of Duties
- With excellent skills in health and data management and collaboration with other departments in the WHO CountryOffice, WHO Regional Office for Africa, Ministry of Health and Collaborating Partners, technical support for the design of the Tools, data collection and analysis, synthesis of strategic information and decision-making, andc ommunication.
- Development updating the legislation and policy framework for the health information system Align health information system investments through a comprehensive and harmonized strategic plan and M&E case, and integrate them into national health sector Strategies.
- Developing harmonized standards for data in the country, including the development of interoperable systems ; harmonization of the list of indicators with their metadata dictionary, reference and target values, and data sources ; and harmonization of data collection and reporting methods.
- Collecting primary and secondary data, including the provision of technical support and assessment of facilities.
- Analysing and monitoring data quality and the development of data quality improvement plans in the country.Analyze and synthesize data on health and other conditions and strategies for health monitoring and evaluation of national and regional strategies.
- Disseminate health information in the country through the development, maintenance and regular updating of an open access National Health Observatory.
- Promote knowledge translation platforms such as EVIPN and to support the translation of evidence into policy and decision-making.
- The incumbent will continuously participate in the development, application and promotion of new methods, tools and capacity building programmes to improve the availability, quality, analysis/synthesis and dissemination of health information.
- Gather information on a regular basis to map Financial contributions donor health security activities in the country, including technical assistance, and in-kind and in-service contributions to update WHO Portal’s strategic partners Perform any other duty as assigned
- Essential: Advanced University Degree in Health Information, Statistics or Computer Science, with specialisation in Database Development and Management or Public Health or Epidemiology.
- Desirable: Professional training or Degree in Statistics and Database Management, ideal Higher Education Degree.
- Good understanding of IT practices.
- Essential: Have at least 7 years experience in data management,information management or related fields.
- Experience with the compilation and analysis of large datasets from multiple sources Good knowledge of public health programme or epidemiology
- Desirable: Working experience with WHO or other UN Agency would be an asset.
- The basic elements of the Governance of the SIS and how they can be used to improve the information system on healthCommon health sources and tools and mechanisms for their collection of facility-based registry systems, community-based registration systems, the International Classification of Diseases, and DHIS
- Limitations of the data from the various sources, the information system and approaches to data quality analysisReview of data quality, particularly the health data system and approaches to improve data quality Analysis and synthesis of health data and interpretation of resultsProcesses and mechanisms for effective dissemination of health and decision-making Excel ; CSPro application, Table and STATAMastery of control applications and advanced knowledge of MS Office and related applications(Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.), including programming.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Promoting innovation and organizational learning
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars.
- The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 75,602 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 3194 per month for the duty station indicated above.
- Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2022 at 10:59:00 PM.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online